Sunday, March 6, 2011

03/05/11

10:14pm
Catheters

So, I think the worst part about my upcoming transplant is probably going to be the catheter that they put in me.  I vaguely remember having one for a previous surgery that was done, but I definitely remember the pain of it coming out.  Besides the pain, I’m not excited about using it, either.
For those of you who have never had one, basically, your bladder tells you that there is pee, but instead of you holding it in, you have no choice but to release it into the catheter and into the pee receptacle.  It feels like you can’t control yourself from peeing in the bed. 
I think that, after you are potty trained, your brain has this intense fear of accidentally peeing.  If you’ve ever peed in a dream and ALMOST peed in your bed, you know the fear that occurs is unlike anything that you experience anywhere else in life.  And the worse part about the catheter is that, your conscious mind knows you don’t need to fear the release of the pee, but every time you freak out as your bladder empties itself without your control into the bag at the side of your bed.

It is absolutely terrifying.


1 comment:

  1. i remember when i first had one. i thought i was peeing all the time. but after i got used to one, i kind of wanted one all the time just so i never had to go to the toilet again. but in the end, they still suck.

    ReplyDelete